Some Power Restored in Fanwood, but More Work Ahead
In a message from Mayor Mahr and Chief Trigo, a small area of Fanwood has power but a lot of work needs to be done throughout town to get the rest up.
FROM THE OFFICES OF MAYOR COLLEEN MAHR AND POLICE CHIEF RICHARD TRIGO
SOME FANWOOD POWER RESTORED!
DOWNED WIRES STILL DANGEROUS!
Power has been restored to a small area of Fanwood (library, train station, some homes) but there is still a lot of work to be done before full power is restored. Fanwood substation has been energized as of this morning. Unfortunately, most of the circuits fed by that substation are not operational due to damage in the field (downed wires and transformers).
PSE&G repair crews should start to be evident in and around Fanwood as they work to restore the wires and transformers that were damaged during the storm. This is a street by street process and thus, return of power will happen piecemeal and slowly.
AS WORK CONTINUES ON RESTORING POWER, IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT ALL CITIZENS STAY AWAY FROM DOWNED LINES. DON’T ASSUME DOWNED WIRES ARE SAFE, EVER.
Customers may call 800-436-PSEG for information or to report a downed wire.
UPDATES ON OTHER INFORMATION:
CHARGING STATIONS FOR CELLPHONES OR DEVICES
• Fanwood Memorial Library, North Avenue and Tillotson Road (Sat and Sun, Nov. 3 and 4, 9AM-5PM, 20 minute limit, WIFI also available)
• Fanwood Rescue Squad, 123 Watson Road (Sat and Sun, Nov. 3 and 4, 9AM-5PM, 40 minute limit)
• Evangel Church, 1251 Terrill Road, Scotch Plains (Sunday, Nov. 4, 9AM-2PM, church services at 9AM and 11AM, hot drinks and food, supplies or families in need)
WARMING STATIONS (9:00 AM to 5:00 PM)
• Chelsea Senior Living, 295 South Avenue (no medical care—a place to sit and be warm, have coffee or tea)
• Fanwood Rescue Squad, 123 Watson Road
VOTING ON TUESDAY, NOV. 6
At this time, voting on Election Day will proceed at the usual places.
YOU MAY VOTE EARLY, THROUGH MONDAY, NOVEMBER 5, 3:00 PM, BY GOING IN PERSON TO THE UNION COUNTY CLERK’S OFFICE IN WESTFIELD (300 NORTH AVENUE EAST, ACROSS FROM THE WESTFIELD DINER). ANY REGISTERED VOTER CAN FILL OUT A VOTE-BY-MAIL BALLOT AND CAST IT ON THE SPOT. THE OFFICE WILL BE OPEN SATURDAY, NOV. 3, 9:00 AM TO 1:00 PM, SUNDAY, NOV. 4, 10:00 AM TO 2:00 PM AND MONDAY, NOV. 5, 9:00 AM TO 3:00 PM. YOU MUST ALREADY BE A REGISTERED VOTER!
• Martine Avenue remains blocked at Paterson Road and MacLennan Place.
• Midway Avenue remains blocked at Forest Road
• Fanwood DPW is clearing sewer inlets today and continuing clearing trees and brush from the streets.
DO NOT DRIVE OVER OR UNDER DOWNED WIRES! ALWAYS ASSUME DOWNED WIRES ARE LIVE!
• Fanwood Borough hall is open today until 4:00 PM. Call 908-322-8236.
• Public Works issues: 908-322-8236
• Non-emergency police and fire: 908-322-5000
• Municipal court is closed
The Board of Education will make the decision on opening Scotch Plains-Fanwood public schools over the weekend.
IN AN EMERGENCY, ALWAYS DIAL 911