The following information was provided by the Mayor of Fanwood.
Mayor Colleen Mahr has just received the latest information from Governor Chris Christie and his Cabinet on Hurricane Sandy. Landfall of the storm is expected tonight in southern New Jersey. Statewide, we can expect wind gusts of 60-70 MPH and 4-10 inches of rain. These conditions are expected to bring widespread power outages caused by flooding and downed trees and limbs. As long as sustained winds are above 40 MPH, utility crews will NOT make repairs because it's unsafe. Thus, residents are asked to be patient if they don't see crews immediately. Once the storm passes, power outages are expected to be widespread with some areas taking days to have power restored.
Utility customers may call these numbers in case of service interruptions:
- PSE&G: 800-436-PSEG (Don't touch any downed wires. Call 911 immediately.)
- ELIZABETHTOWN GAS: 800-492-4009 (If you smell gas, call 911 immediately.)
- NJ AMERICAN WATER: 800-652-6987
Mayor Mahr has also met with the Fanwood Emergency Management team and has these updates for the public:
- The annual Halloween Parade is postponed. It may be rescheduled.
- Residents are urged to stay off the roads during the state of emergency.
- Borough offices remain closed today and tomorrow.
- Residents should check this website and Community Television (Comcast channel 35 and Verizon channel 24) for the latest information.
- Sign up for our email updates by clicking here and filling out the form.
Also, Union County Meals On Wheels is suspended today and tomorrow.
IN AN EMERGENCY, ALWAYS DIAL 911