Mayor Colleen Mahr and Police Chief Richard Trigo have sent out the following advisory:
Fanwood wakes up Wednesday under about a foot of snow and very cold temperatures. The National Weather Service says it will be cold all week with wind chills around zero. Our Department of Public Works has been out all night clearing our roads and they continue to do so. Scotch Plains-Fanwood public schools are closed for the day. Union County courts are closed for the day. Everyone is urged to stay off the roads unless absolutely necessary.
More weather/safety information:
- Warming Station - The Chelsea Senior Living residence, 295 South Avenue, is a designated warming station. Anyone in immediate need of warmth may go there. Please bring any medications or other necessities. Fanwood Police will arrange transportation if you call 908-322-5000.
- Park off-street - Residents are urged to park off-street wherever possible to facilitate plowing.
- Stay off the roads unless absolutely necessary. A reminder that it is illegal to drive with windshields obstructed by snow, or by failing to clear snow off vehicles that could blow off and obstruct another driver's view.
- Power outage or downed wires - Call PSE&G's customer hotline, 800-436-PSEG. Never touch a downed wire.
- Gas leaks - If you smell gas, or to report a gas leak, call Elizabethtown Gas,800-492-4009.
- Please check up on elderly neighbors and let them know about the warming station at the Chelsea.
- To report potentially dangerous situations on a non-emergency basis, call Fanwood Police at 908-322-5000.
- The Fanwood Police Department, Fire Department and Rescue Squad are ready to respond to any emergency. In the event of a true emergency, call 911.
To stay in touch with us:
- Sign up here for email alerts
- Sign up here for text alerts
- Check www.fanwoodnj.org for updates
- Tune to Fanwood/Scotch Plains information radio at 530 on the AM dial in the event of power outages or road closures. The broadcast is also streamed here.
Colleen Mahr, Mayor
Richard Trigo, Chief of Police