An early-morning fire damaged the rear of a home on Madison Avenue in Fanwood on Sunday.
According to the Fanwood borough website, the Fanwood Fire Department's quick action prevented the fire from spreading to the rest of the home, confining it to a rear patio and second floor area.
An improperly extinguished cigarette may have been the cause. No one was injured.
Fire companies from Scotch Plains, Westfield and Berkeley Heights assisted in fighting the two-alarm fire. The Fanwood Rescue Squad provided rehab services for firefighters with the assistance of the Westfield and Mountainside Rescue Squads.