This update was received from the Borough of Fanwood.
The National Weather Service predicts temperatures in the 20's today and overnight into Sunday, with a chance of sleet or freezing rain Sunday morning. Be careful out there!
Warming Station Established at The Chelsea
Anyone needing warmth may go to the Chelsea assisted living residence, 295 South Avenue. Bring any medications you might need. If you need a ride, call the Fanwood Police non-emergency number, 908-322-5000, and transportation will be arranged.
Heating Tips from PSE&G
PSE&G has extra personnel standing by to respond to emergency service requests. However, during extreme cold, inadequate heat isn't always caused by faulty equipment. Heating systems have to work harder to maintain adequate temperatures, and you may have to help by taking these steps:
- Seal up openings around and under doors and windows
- Make sure all storm windows are down and tightly closed
- Lower thermostats serving unused rooms
- Close dampers in unused fireplaces
- Move furniture and drapes away from heating registers, radiators, and baseboard element covers
- Open any register or baseboard dampers
- Warm air systems - replace dirty/clogged air filters
Indoor Safety Related to Heating
- Be very careful using space heaters. Follow manufacturer's instructions and heed warning labels.
- Never use a stove or oven to heat your home.
- Make sure all gas and oil burning heaters and appliances work properly to avoid carbon monixode (CO) poisoning. Keep all vents an chimneys clear of snow and debris.
- Invest in CO detectors for your home.
Fanwood Police urge all residents to keep a special eye on our senior citizens. Make sure they know about the warming station at the Chelsea.Always call 911 in an emergency!