On Thursday, Oct. 11, Superintendent, Dr. Margaret W. Hayes, showed the board and attendees a presentation of goals the Board of Education is hoping to accomplish in the 2012-2013 school year.
About seven concept and themes for goals were discussed.
Here is a list of the goals:
1. Student Achievment
- Meet and exceed the NJDOE performance targets
- Piloting the district selected teacher/principal evaluation programs
- Provide teacher training for effective use of multimedia tools.
- Create the new technology plan for 2013-2016. Past one will expire this school year.
3. Service Learning - Board believes this is very imporant.
- Focus on service learning for grades 4 and 7
- Each school will revise current service learning initiatives.
4. Global Awareness
- Grade two, global studies unit
- "The Big Read" initiative
- Update curriculum to intergrate a global perspective
- Update long range facilities
- Developing phasing plans and HVAC upgrades
- Create plan for near-term(plans that will expire soon) facilities
6. World Language
- Institute Mandarin at the High School, in two level
7. Volunteer and Patronage
The 2012-2013 goals will eventually be added to the Board of Education's website, spfk12.org.