At the Oct. 18, Board of Education(BOE) meeting, the Board voted unanimously in favor of the teacher contract agreement between the BOE and the Scotch Plains-Fanwood Educaiton Association (SPFEA).
Board member, Douglas Layne, provided the public with an outline of the major aspects of the labor agreement.
- The contract is a three year contract beginning July 1, 2012 and ending on June 30, 2015.
- It calls for a 2 percent raise each year of the contract term.
- Contract lengthens school day for teachers of the High School, making their days the same as elementary and middle school teachers. However, this makes no change in the school day for students.
- All coaches and extra-curricular activity supervisors will receive a 2 percent increase of their stipend in the second year of their contract.
- All salaries will move to direct deposit
- Lastly, the amount for tuition reimbursement will be raised from $123,000 to $126,000.
Resident of Fanwood, Michael Lewis, asked if the contract made any changes to medical or insurance benefits, which Mr. Layne replied no.
However, Superintendent Dr. Margaret Hayes, added that there was a change, but it was due to a change implemented by the state and was not part of the BOE and SPFEA's agreements specifically.